Available to owners and/or management companies, direct membership allows you to gain access to valuable member services. When you join the Indiana Apartment Association, you instantly have access to member services designed to enhance the way you do business, advance your career, help you network with other members and protect your interests.
Membership is in the name of the owner or management company, and dues are calculated on the total number of units within the state. To find out how much dues your company would pay, send the total number of units you own/manage in Indiana contact Letti O'Neill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for membership today! Please fax your completed application form to Letti at 317.816-8911.
Benefits of Membership
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS PROGRAM
- IAA provides you with information on how government affects your business. IAA is the only organization that lobbies the State Legislature on behalf of the multifamily housing industry. Over the past 10 years, we have celebrated many successes especially the inclusion of multifamily housing in the tax relief ensuring permanent property tax caps of 2% for rental property. In 2011, IAA successfully navigated changes in how local municipalities collect fees. The new law directs cities and towns to set up separate funds and to use that money only for inspections and registrations of apartments. IAA also had language removed from an immigration bill that would have required apartment managers to determine if a person was in this country illegally. The bill also would have required managers to keep photo IDs on file, which is a violation of Fair Housing laws. Legislators agreed with our stance on the issue.
- IAA monitors local ordinances around the state and advocates for the industry on many local issues.
- Information concerning new laws and regulations is immediately forwarded to members on critical issues.
- The Legislative Action Center in the Members Only section of www.iaaonline.net allows you to stay current on legislation, and send e-mails to legislators on issues facing our industry.
- IAA designed a website for apartment residents, www.apartmentvoterscount.com, to encourage apartment residents to register to vote. This increases awareness with state and local officials when they are enacting laws that affect our industry, such as taxes and inspection fees.
- Members receive up to 50% off on education class registration fees.
- The NEW Leasing Series Program is writing and designed specifically for the Indiana Apartment Association and is targeted for new and experienced leasing professionals offering something for everyone. It encompasses both classroom and online training.
- The NEW Leadership Series Program was developed in response to member needs and is the first of its kind to be offered by the Indiana Apartment Association. It is designed to enhance your Regional Property Supervisors', Property Managers' and Maintenance Supervisors' careers within your company. This inventive program encompasses both classroom and online training.
- "Just in Time" training on timely issues – such as Bed Bugs; Lead Based Paint (RRP Rule); OSHA, Asbestos – is offered regularly.
- IAA continues to offer training developed by the National Apartment Association for (Certified Apartment Manager (CAM), Certified Apartment Property Supervisor (CAPS) and Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) which is also ANSI accredited.
- Additional workshops and seminars include Fair Housing, Evictions, Section 8, Tax Credits, CFC certification and other types of continuing education and training.
- IAA continues to offer the IREM Certified Property Manager (CPM) designation in a two-year, "fast track" format, conducted in Indianapolis. This offering represents an efficient, cost-effective avenue for property management professionals to achieve a highly acclaimed and sought-after designation.
- IAA has a statewide Neighborhood Watch Program for apartment communities. Law enforcement officials have praised and supported the program since its inception a few years ago. Many apartment communities use this program as an opportunity for community outreach. IAA recently revised its Neighborhood Watch manual to easily guide a community in setting up a program.
- IAA offers an Emergency Response Manual, which was created to provide an easy, step-by-step procedure for developing and implementing an Emergency Response Plan.
- IAA worked diligently with Ball State University to develop a Residential Property Management degree program and continues to support this program which attracts new professionals into the Apartment Industry.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS/INDUSTRY RECOGNITION
- The annual Midwest Multifamily Exposition & Education Conference is an opportunity for industry professionals to learn about new products and services, hear nationally-known speakers and network with peers. The 2012 Conference will be held on Tuesday, October 16 and Wednesday, October 17 at the Indiana Convention Center.
- Keep informed on industry statistics and trends by attending IAA's Annual Industry Outlook.
- Excellence in the industry is rewarded with annual Awards of Excellence recognition.
- IAA's statewide Prodigy Awards program honors "the best" in the industry.
- The annual Exposition includes over 170 trade show booths and the opportunity to network with members statewide.
- IAA offers members a fuel management program through Superfleet which minimizes fuel expense by offering discounts.
- All members receive a free subscription to INSites Magazine, the Association's award-winning trade publication. INSites Magazine is published bi-monthly, and keeps members informed on local, state, and national activities.
- IAA Insider is our weekly electronic newsletter emailed to all members statewide. This provides weekly updates on IAA activities, multifamily news, economic development news, and upcoming classes and events.
- The Membership Directory and Blue Book are handy references as our members buy goods and services from each other. In 2012, we will combine them into one book that will be published in the fall. The Blue Book, or Associate Member Directory, is also available online.
- The Green Book is a legal binder that addresses Indiana law specific to managing rental property. The newly updated book is available as a management tool.
- Members receive timely legislative summary bulletins.
FORMS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
- IAA Lease Program: The National Apartment Association has developed a web-based national lease program. IAA participates in this program and insures the lease is updated with all new laws specific to Indiana.
- Contact IAA Mark Conover at email@example.com for more information about the IAA Lease. You can also go to http://www.iaaonline.net/sections/lease.php to get more information.
The IAA WEBSITE
- Our interactive website – www.iaaonline.net – provides an online guide to association services and benefits.
- Register for classes and events.
- The Calendar of Events provides a quick and secure means to register and pay for classes and other association events.
- The Legislative Action Center provides IAA members an easy and effective means of tracking legislation.
- Members can send comments to IAA on certain matters. Those comments are used to formulate testimony before the Indiana General Assembly.
- The Employment Opportunities section provides an area for industry-specific job postings.
- Full-time professional staff members are available at the IAA Office to serve you. Call 317-816-8900, fax 317-819-8911, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.